Race Update and Reminder - No 1 of 2
Sunday 12 Nov 2023
This email is a last minute reminder for previous competitors and our 1st update of 2 for competitors entered in 2023. Below is some news and tips on this years event. Please read and pass onto anyone in your team who may not receive the mail.
Newsflash for first timers and juniors
For first timers and juniors, we will do a face to face briefing with our Race Director on site at the event compound at 2.00pm for sprint and enticer and 3.00pm for juniors on Saturday 11 Nov at Camp Shortland (near Nobbys Beach) off Wharf Rd.
Welcome from Sparke Helmore
Download a poster for the office.
ENTRIES STILL OPEN - MEDALS FOR EVERYONE
ENTRIES REMAIN OPEN UNTIL 1 HOUR BEFORE RACE START
Let your friends, colleagues or family know to get in quick. Tell them to GET MOVING! Please send this on.
Course Information and News
The course map is below and can be downloaded. The course is similar to last year but does have some areas that have changed, of note the swim and event compound locations. We should also remind you that, while roads are closed (with a substantial Traffic Management Plan in place) for this event, in a busy City environment some parked vehicles will be on the course. Please pay attention to your direction and speed at all times. If a motorist or pedestrian attempts to leave/cross the course area during the event, we ask you to revert to normal road/pedestrian rules and report the incident to one of our Traffic or General Marshals. Your safety and the safety of the general public is paramount to the continuing success of this event.
Course points to note:
- The event compound is in Camp Shortland near Nobbys Beach off Wharf Rd Newcastle.
- Bikes can be racked on Sunday only. The bike compound will open for Sprint and Enticer at 6.00am. The junior access will be from 8.00am. You will be able to rack your bike for the Enticer and Juniors while the Sprint event is on from the harbour side only, however do not walk onto parts of the course.
- The swim course will start for the Sprint at 7.00am from the eastern end of Horseshoe Beach) and Enticer (9.00am ). Juniors are from 10.00am (except 14y+ at 9.30am)
- ALL swims are beach starts
- ALL swims finish are at the western end of Horseshoe Beach
- Waves be a simple split between Male, Female/Teams (except Sprint which has 2 male waves). See wave starts below.
- You can have shoes or thongs at the beach exit if you wish. The transition area is a tarred car park.
- Nobbys SLSC will be implementing a substantial water safety plan
- The main swim course is M shaped. The tide is incoming mid tide.
- Note the Sprint distance will exit the first lap and run back to the start on the beach
- The Juniors swims are all along the shore and do not go more than 10 m off the shore line.
- The cycle leg is mapped below . Some points to note:
- The Sprint Distance is 6 laps of the course and the Enticer is 3 laps. Juniors see the wave start list for your laps on the bike.
- The juniors 13y and under DO NOT go around Fort Drive.
- You enter the Horseshoe Beach Rd on each lap.
- Please pay attention for rogue pedestrians at all times
- There are speed humps along Shortland Esplanade.
- The turn point for all courses is the same
- There is only one substantial climb on Fort Drive. Please stay left to allow passing. Never pass on the left!
- There is one substantial descent. Please control your speed, in particular on the Nobbys roundabout turn.
- The run leg is a simple 2.5km loop and is well signposted and marshalled on the breakwall and around the back of Nobbys SLSC. The juniors will have different turning points. These are well marshalled.
Waves, start times, cap colours
Race Kit collection times
Race Kits can be collected from the Admin tent just west of Nobbys SLSC off Wharf Rd Newcastle:
- Saturday 11 Nov - 10am - 4.30pm
- Sunday 12 Nov - from 5.30am until 30 minutes before race start
Please bring your phone for our quick QR code pick up system. There is a secure bag area for bags and phones on Sunday at the Admin tent.
The need for SPEED! Hang around and you might win this cool bike thanks to the Bicycle Centre Hunter Valley!
Needs some extra speed. Then call in and see Scott from Bicyle Centre Hunter Valley. They also have loads of experience in Triathlon and every sort of cycling. If you need a service pre race, you need to get in quick. Call in to Garnet Avenue in East Maitland, contact Scott on 0249336620 or check out the Facebook link from the logo.
THANKS TO OUR EVENT SPONSORS
Frequently asked questions.
- Can I wear a wetsuit? - Yes if the water temp is under 24 degrees celsius. The water is less than 20 degrees at the moment.
- Do i have to wear a swim cap in the swim? - Yes, it is a safety requirement.
- What sort of bike do i need? - any roadworthy bike and an Australian Standard helmet.
- Can one person pick up the team kits?- Yes, if all team members have signed or agreed to the race waiver. Available HERE or on race day.
- Can i change a team member? - Just email email@example.com to make a change up to the Wednesday. On race weekend, just make sure the person has signed the waiver. Download HERE
- Were can i park? - There is plenty of paid parking in Argyle St and Bolton St parking stations and the Honeysuckle. The tram will be working from Wickham interchange. Bikes not allowed on the tram. Just ride them!
- Where do team members meet to change over? - Cyclists and Runners wait in the bike compound at their bike. You will be instructed were on race day. You must change over the timing chip.
- Can I wear shoes from the swim to the bike compound? - Yes just leave some thongs or old joggers at the swim exit (out of the way of other swimmers).
- Can we bring a team tent to the event? Yes, team marquees are available for hire or you can bring your own. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.